Sunday, 12 January 2014

Contents & Feature article pages

For my contents page, I wanted to keep it simple but looking effective at the same time. The only way I knew I could do this was to get ideas from successful and established current music magazines such as Kerrang! I am satisfied with my pages from doing this as I believe they gained a more professional and effective approach.
I used key conventions that were recognizable from other contents pages such as artist image, page numbers & what will be included etc. This made my product more identifiable that it was a contents page.
I tried to create the same effect for my feature article page. I noticed that on Kerrang’s feature article page, it appeared fairly jumbled and crammed full of information; I however, didn’t want to achieve this particular kind of design. I avoided this by keeping the colours of my feature article page the traditional and plain black & white. This worked in making it look effective as the odd use of red and yellow made it stand out and eye catching, this worked well for what I was aiming to achieve as it remained simple.
Initially, I designed my feature article page so that it was a page only. I discovered that this wasn’t going to work as I couldn’t include all of the information I wanted to on one page only. This is when I made the feature article page 2 pages which also allowed me to include an extra image.

My house style between the pages is very obvious and noticeable. I believe that it is clear which colours I chose to use throughout the layout of my design as they continued from my front cover right the way through to my feature article page. The colours I chose are those which are considered related to my chosen genre of music which contributes to the purpose of my magazine and fluent house style.


When creating my contents page, I took a lot of inspiration from Kerrang. I believe that it is noticeable I used a lot of Kerrang’s features due to the similar use of colour and layout. I aimed to make my contents page slightly simpler compared to the Kerrang layout and design.
Some of the features on my contents page are similar to the Kerrang ones. For example, I used an image for the top half of the page and placed text in similar places. However, I made my page slightly more simple by not including as many images and bands of text.

No comments:

Post a Comment